Monday, March 13, 2017

Interview with Paula Houseman, Author of Odyssey in a Teacup and Apoca[hot]lips

  Paula Houseman, Author


Covers of her books




1.      What were your goals and intentions in this series of books, and how well do you feel you achieved them? 
I had something to say. I have a viewpoint that’s outside of mainstream thinking—a mode of being that’s helped me through difficulties. And I wanted to get it out there. Initially, I intended to just blog about it, believing it had nothing to do with the book I was writing, which was a collection of unrelated, humorous short stories. But it had everything to do with it!

It’s a way of life and humor is very much a part of that. And once I let the idea weave its way through the stories, they all started to come together to form chapters of a novel, Odyssey in a Teacup. I carried the theme into the next book, Apoca[hot]lips, and it’s continuing in Book 3.

I feel I’ve achieved my objective because couching ideas in humor is a non-aggressive way of getting a message across. Whether or not the reader responds to it consciously, at the very least, it will have planted a seed.   

2.      What are some of the references that you used while researching these books?
I googled a lot! Still, when it came to important facts like laws and rules and procedures and timelines, I didn’t want to misrepresent the truth. So I called the relevant organisations and asked the necessary questions.

But probably my greatest research came from my favourite book, Woman Who Run With the Wolves, by Clarissa Pinkola Estés. And that wasn’t about researching the book’s content, but allowing it to help me explore the contents of my own depths. 

3.      What do you think most characterizes your writing?
I’ve been told my writing is very real. It’s bawdy, for sure! But the colorful words and double entendres aren’t there for shock value. They’re not forced. It’s earthy humor—a sacred one.

Writers and readers connect at the most fundamental level of humanness, beyond all the social categories that can divide us. And that’s where I write from.

4.      What did you enjoy most about writing these books?
I’m not a plotter; I’m a pantser—I fly by the seat of my pants. So I didn’t feel bound by a specific plan. I let the characters and the story lead me. And that made the experience mysterious and much more interesting. I just never knew where I was going to be taken, or end up. So, I was the reader as much as I was the writer.

And writing is the one place I can always be all of me. I love that it moves me. If I’m laughing or crying or raging as I write, I know I’m on the right track. If my writing isn’t stirring my passions, I can’t expect it to stir the reader’s.

5.      What was the hardest part of writing these books? 
I didn’t find writing the books hard. And that might be because I’m not attached to any writing formula that’s at the risk of not working. I know the creative process is messy, but I trust it. Even being taken into some dark places isn’t what I’d call hard. Challenging, maybe. It’s probably akin to wading through raw sewage at times, but I’ve been there so often, I know that under it all, there’s that warming and inspiring sacred obscenity ... the ‘holy shit’!

I guess the part that I did find hard came after I’d finished the books—checking through the editor’s comments, and then scanning the manuscripts after they’d been formatted for ebook and for paperback to see if it everything was correct. Both are laborious and require a lot of focus. And then, there’s the necessity of promoting the books, when I’d rather just be writing.

6.      Where did your love of books/storytelling/reading/writing/etc. come from?
As a baby boomer, I grew up at a time when the catchphrase ‘Children should be seen and not heard’ still held sway. ‘Children’ really just meant girls. Women. But I was pretty feisty, and I was in trouble a lot because I’d laugh at inappropriate times and I had an up-yours attitude!

I had plenty to say and I wanted it to be heard. It just wasn’t what my family wanted to hear. Being hamstrung made for a difficult childhood and adolescence. Reading allowed me to escape into the alternative realities books offered. Writing has allowed me to create alternative realities. More than that, though, it’s allowed me to be heard as an individual, and as a woman. 

7.      How did you become involved with the subject or theme of your books?
It was about twelve years ago. I’d read Estés from time to time and I found her views uplifting. She shows us that folk tales contain fragments of what you find in the uncut, no-holds-barred ancient myths. And that we don’t just read or tell stories, we live them.
It raised questions for me, not least, if there are only remnants of the original stories in our current ones, then what’s missing from my whole story and my life?
Reading Estés’s book reminded me that it was the wild aspect of me that had gone underground—the ‘Wild Woman archetype’, she calls it. So it answered my question ... but only to a point.

And then, as providence would have it, I was drawn to a sociology course at university that also promoted the archetypal approach. The main text was Care of the Soul, by archetypal psychologist Thomas Moore. In it, he exposes what he calls the ‘salvational fantasy’: Our desire to be saved from our shadow side, which makes us turn to magic bullet solutions—whether that’s a person, vitamin, exercise or diet regimen, or therapeutic modality.

At first, I hated what Moore had to say because I realized I was hostage to this fantasy. I wanted my wild woman back, but I also wanted to be rescued from the darkness where she resides! Like most people, I’d understood the idea of bettering myself meant heroically wiping out ‘undesirable’ aspects—negative thoughts and feelings and impulses. But these things are innate; you can’t erase them. And it’s unhealthy to deny them a place in our psyches and lives.

When I started to embrace this archetypal model that holds a place for everything, life became easier. I got that ‘rising above’ stuff isn’t a sign of bravery; diving into it is. Discovering that my story was much more comprehensive than a fairytale-like framework helped me become accepting of all of it. And once I did that, the aspects I’d been ashamed of didn’t have to clamor for attention as much.

8.      How long have you been writing?
It began with journal writing twenty-five years ago. Both my parents had died within seventeen months of each other, and apart from the grief, I was left with an avalanche of feelings over having had aspects of me tamped down. I needed to find a safe space to let loose without fear of being judged or shamed. Writing gave me that. And the audience of one grew to include others when I started university. I still had a lot to say, and it was very well-received. It evolved from there: submitting the odd poem to the university’s student publication; joining an online writing community; and then writing my books. 

9.      What inspires you? 
With my first book, I didn’t have to look past my own childhood and adolescence for inspiration. But the more I unearth the innate comedy in the tragedy, the more I understand just how absurd life is. And it’s that ridiculousness that inspires me!

10.  What do you like to read in your free time?
Mystery | thriller | suspense novels. I love whoddunits, particularly, Sandra Brown’s books. She combines mystery with romance and sex.

11.  What projects are you working on at the present?
I’m writing Book 3 in the series. But I also have to commit time and energy to promoting the other books, and to blogging (which I don’t do often enough).

12.  What makes your books stand out from the crowd?
Without having read the many thousands of books in my genre, it looks like a difficult question to answer. But I think it’s actually quite simple. When I write, I’m being uniquely me; I’m expressing my essence through that particular medium. It doesn’t make me better or worse than any other writer. Just different. In the words of Dr Seuss, ‘There is no one alive who is Youer than You.’ So, because no one can be Me-er than Me, that’s what sets my books apart from the rest!

13.  When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?
A couple of years after I started university, I realized what I most loved about the whole experience was essay writing. And I was fortunate in that I had very encouraging tutors & lecturers who applauded my unconventional take on things. It inspired me to become more daring in my essays. But then in my final honours year, I came up against a brick wall. I had to deal with traditionalists, who were scathing in their criticism of my thesis—both my approach and my ideas. In the end, I tried to take on the establishment, but even those who commended my paper and supported me were made to back down. It was disheartening. But it was a turning point. From then on, I decided no one was going to shut me up again! I finished my first book a couple of years later, and I also started blogging.  

14.  What question do you wish that someone would ask about your books, but nobody has?
There’s no one question that comes to mind. But I’d like to think my books raise questions in the readers about themselves—ones they might not have considered. Like what I asked myself all those years ago: What’s missing from my whole story and my life?

Links:
Author Website: http://paulahouseman.com
Author Profile Page on Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/PaulaHouseman


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. They are greatly appreciated!

Charla